Ads by Nuffnang

Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Greatest Love

1940, when we were 17. I met you at the small town of Seabrook. I'm a miner that proudly earn 40 cents per hour, and you're a lady going to college. I could never forget the night I met you. You were playing bumper car with your friends, and you were laughing. Boy, I could not take my eyes away from you. You are glowing in that smile, outshine everyone besides you. And I could see only you, just you.

I climbed up to the Ferris Wheel and forced you to go out with me. You said no, because you don't want to. I let go of one hand, you screamed. I asked again, "Will you go out with me, and I think my hands are slipping." You screamed again, "Yes!!". I made you shouted out loud that you want to go out with me. "I Want To Go Out With You, Because I Want To." I smiled a wicked smile, and you go pissed. You leaned against me, and started to take off my pants. you made me get half naked on top of a Ferris Wheel. You laughed again, "Next time you won't be so cocky."

Mr. Underwear was what you called me the next we met. I went in front and claimed for the date that you promised. You said no, but you said I'm good in flirting. No, I'm not. I could only fall in love with the girl I saw in front of me. But you were already in your family's car, and I can only wave goodbye.

Friends set up a double date for us to watch a movie. They made out, and both of us concentrated on the movie. We decided to walk back home. I made you lie down on the street, looking at the traffic light to turn from red to green. A car nearly went through us, but we were laughing. The next thing I knew, we were dancing in the middle of the street and I hummed a tune. You said it was the ugliest tune in the world, but you loved it.

We were together. We fought a lot, but we made it up quickly. We loved each other even more everyday. You met my father in the countryside, I met your parents in your grand summer house. Your mother told me you are going to New York. I stumbled, but I hold on.

It was the day, we almost made love to each other. 2am in the morning, your parents sent police looking for you. You fought with your parents, saying that you love me. Your mother called a trash. I left. You ran down the stairs, and I said the word. We broke off.

Your family took you away the next day. I ran to your empty house, looking through the gate. You're gone.

I wrote everyday for a year, 365 letters, remained unreplied.

I went to the army, and my best friend died.

I came back home, father sold his old house for me to buy the abandoned house by the riverside. You once said you want a white house with blue window pane. You want a room overlooking the sunset so that you can paint. You want a balcony where you can drink tea with me. I did it all. I know you will find a way to come back to me.

But you're not. I saw you in town that day, kissing another man. You have a diamond ring on your hand, you're getting married.

Somehow you knew I've built the house. You came visit before your wedding. We finally made love to each other.

You struggled to choose between me and your fiance. But you chose me, because your mother gave you back my 365 letters.

We were married, we have 1 son and 2 daughters. And we have 2 grandchildren. And you were sick, you couldn't remember anymore.

You wrote a book, a story between us. You said, "Read this to me, and I'll come back to you."

I read to you everyday, hoping for a miracle. Sometimes you remember, for 5 minutes. And you forgot.

I read to you again. You remembered this time. We danced while having our candle light. And you pushed me away, looking at me and screaming as though I'm a stranger. I saw doctors injecting medicine in you. I saw you were in pain. I cried, but I have to leave you.

I looked back to the pictures we took. I slept, and I had my third heart attack in the last 18 months. I managed to come back. I walked to your room. I thanked the nurse for getting the second cup of coffee for herself.

I sit by your side, looking at you. You were too peaceful, I don't want to wake you. You opened your eyes, and you called my name. You remembered again.

I held you hands tight, and I lay by your side. "Go sleep, my sweetheart. I will be by your side."

The nurse found us the next morning, holding hands, going back to Him. Death could not do us apart.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

greatest love? more like a fairytale

Jasmine Wong said...

It's based on a true story. Go watch "The Notebook"

Anonymous said...

OMG. that movie harrrr.. aduh, boring lahhhh

Jasmine Wong said...

Its VERY nice okay.. =.=

vikneswary subramaniam said...

It's a great story...i guessed it after i read a few lines...well written..

Jasmine Wong said...

I only guessed the rest of the story after I've watched to the middle.. =.=

You should watch this movie, it's really worth-watching.. =)